Let no vandalism of avarice of neglect, no ravages of time, testify to the present or to the coming generations that we have forgotten, as a people, the cost of free and undivided republic. - General John A. Logan
A $40 donation will create a monument to a veteran or active duty or reserve service member by having an historic paving brick engraved with her or his name, branch of service, and conflict (if applicable). Each engraved brick will be incorporated into the redesigned Soldier’s Square to honor all those who serve our country and preserve in perpetuity the sacrifices of those who serve our country and their families.
The current monument in Soldier’s Square in Appleton, Wisconsin is dedicated to the memory of one veteran and to the those who served in the Army and Navy during the Civil War. Our goal is to extend the meaning of the area surrounding the monument all United States veterans and active duty and reserve service members, regardless of their branch of service, the conflicts they have fought in, or whether they are living or passed.
Sculpture Valley is partnering with The Hearthstone Historic Home and Museum and the John H. Bradley VA clinic to raise funds for the revitalization effort and support the goal of installing new memorials to honor all those who have served since WWII but have never been publicly recognized in our town square. While the City of Appleton has earmarked money to fund the restoration of the Civil War Memorial and the Spanish-American War Memorial, it will be up the citizens of Appleton to generate support for new memorials to recreate and enhance the reverence reflection plaza Soldier’s Square once was.
About John H. Bradley VA Clinic
John H. Bradley VA Clinic serves more than 11,000 Veterans in the Fox Valley area with more than 152 staff members as part of the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs. The Appleton clinic opened in 1994 and was expanded in 2008. The original building houses Primary Care and support/specialty services with the expanded operations providing Mental Health programs as well as Iraq and Afghanistan Veteran case management services. Proceeds from the this project will help the clinic continue to serve past generations of veterans as well as every generation to come.
The facility is named for John Henry Bradley who grew up in Appleton. Bradley was a Pharmacist’s Mate, 2/c, attached to the 5th Marine Division on Iwo Jima in 1945. A winner of the Navy Cross and a Purple Heart among other decorations, he participated in the assault on Mt. Suribachi and the famous flag raisings there.
About Hearthstone Historic House Museum
Hearthstone Historic House Museum is nationally renowned historic site of international significance as the first residence anywhere in the world to be incandescently lit by a hydroelectric central power station using Edison technology. The house still contains the original Edison electroliers and other original light fixtures, original light switches, and some of the world's only examples of original Edison wiring in situ. Beyond its technological significance, Hearthstone is a truly exceptional example of Queen Anne style residential architecture and is filled with examples of Victorian interior design and visual arts.
Hearthstone’s second owner, Albert Priest, donated the Civil War monument in Soldier’s Square in the memory of his brother James, who died serving his country in 1861. Hearthstone’s volunteers removed by hand and palletized over 53 tons of the historic paving bricks which once served as the museum’s driveway so that they could be used in this project.
Hearthstone’s initiatives include its STEM education programs in area school districts, its local history curriculum in Appleton second grade classes, and collaborative efforts with other institutions. Proceeds from this project will support these efforts and help continue Hearthstone’s mission of preserving and interpreting Appleton’s rich history.
Hearthstone Historic House Museum is operated by Friends of Hearthstone, Inc., a 501 (c) 3 public charity.